Strategic Solving Part I
These exercises and activities are for students to use independently of the teacher to practise number properties.
Number Framework Domain and Stage:Addition and Subtraction AA
NA 3-1: Use a range of additive and simple multiplicative strategies with whole numbers, fractions, decimals and percentages.
NA 3-6: Record and interpret additive and simple multiplicative strategies, using words, diagrams, and sybols, with an understanding of equality.
NP Book Reference:
These exercises and activities follow from the AA teaching episodes from Book 5 and are for those students who are able to use the number properties of addition and subtraction.
Prior knowledge: students should be able to…
- Use a range of number strategies for solving addition and subtraction problems with whole numbers.
- Write families of facts for addition.
- Have an understanding of = sign.
During these activities students will meet:
- Solving linear equations with whole numbers.
- Using appropriate forms of the equation to solve for x.
- Using a range of add/sub strategies to solve linear equations.
- Recording of solution methods.
- Concept of a pronumeral.
- Equivalent statements.
this a revision of the different ways a number fact with three numbers can be recorded to find a form that enables x to be easily calculated.
Students are not required to know any methods of solving equations to be able to solve these problems. The requirement is that they immediately write the equation in a form that tells them the calculation they need to do. Students will be required to select an appropriate Add / Sub strategy in order to calculate x.
Exercise 3 could be used as homework.