These exercises and activities are for students to use independently of the teacher to practice number properties
Number Framework domain and stage:
Fractions ratios and proportions, stages 3 to 4, counting from one by imaging to advanced counting
Number, level 1
Numeracy Project book reference:
These activities can be used to follow the teaching episodes based on, Book 7, pages 2 to 4 and are for those students who are able to use the associated number properties.
Prior knowledge. Students should be able to:
- Identify shapes that have been cut correctly in to fractional pieces (where all are an equal size), and those that have not
- Explain the functions of the two different numbers in a fraction
During these activities, students will meet:
- Shading a fraction of an object that has been partitioned into equal pieces
- Shading a fraction of a set of objects
- Completing a shape (or set of objects) if only part of it is given
These exercises are for students with little fractional knowledge and focus on the ‘parts of a whole’ construct of fractions.
When marking, it is important to discuss with students that it does not matter which pieces are shaded, as long as the correct number are shaded. Likewise for exercise 3, there are a range of different shapes that could be the whole figure. Note that several shapes have been left unshaded in the answers for exercise 1, so students come to you for this discussion.